What is the key to happiness in a career? A careful analysis of the data reveals a fairly clear result: the happiest people are the ones with authority. The happiest careers come with creative/directive control and minimize the amount of day-to-day control that others have over you.
The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index revealed the following information from a survey of nearly 101,000 working adults:
Occupation and overall well-being
1. Business Owner
According to a University of Chicago study, here are the most unhappy careers:
Bottom Occupations in Job Satisfaction
8. Freight, Stock, & Material Handlers
6. Furniture/Home Furnishing Salespersons
4. Apparel Clothing Salespersons
3. Hand Packers and Packagers
2. Food Preparers, Misc.
1. Laborers, Except Construction