Chinese editor quits as government media crackdown strengthens

Chinese editor quits over government censorship

Yu Shaolei, an editor for Chinese newspaper Southern Metropolis Daily has quit his post in protest of China’s crackdown on media.

Shaolei took the unusual step of posting his resignation on Chinese social media late Monday.

In his resignation the editor said he was unable to “adopt your surname,” a reference that appears to be in response to calls from Chinese President Xi Jinping for state media to strictly follow the Communist Party’s leadership.

Last month Xi said he wanted publications to be “surnamed ‘Party,'” a sign of fealty.

Yu posted his letter on the Sina Weibo platform on Monday but the message was deleted soon afterward. His message was archived by the University of Hong Kong’s Weiboscope project.

The Southern Metropolis Daily is not commenting on the editor’s resignation.

In his post, Yu addressed “the person who is responsible for monitoring my Weibo and notifying the superiors to get my posts deleted.”

“You should be relieved,” he wrote. “I’m sorry that I have stressed you out these past few years, and I sincerely hope you will take a new direction in your career.”

Journalists and regular citizens who have called for less government oversight have had their social media accounts regularly removed at the request of the over-reaching Chinese government.