Donald Trump said Friday that he will not participate in any more primary debates.
Trump’s announcement arrives the morning after his 12th Republican presidential debate.
“I think we’ve had enough debates,” Trump said at a news conference in which he received the endorsement of his former presidential rival Ben Carson. “I mean, how many times do you have to give the same answer to the same question?”
The GOP frontrunner was responding to a question about a planned March 21 debate.
Last month Trump told reporters that the GOP debates had become “predictable” and he wondered out loud at the time if he should continue to participate.
Trump had nothing but praise for Thursday’s debate: “I think it will be nice to finish off with this one. I thought CNN did a fantastic job last night. I thought that Jake [Tapper] was a great moderator. It was just a really nice way to finish off the debate season. But I really think it’s enough debates. I don’t think there’s any reason for the debates.”
“I know they’re getting very big ratings … I think we’ve had enough,” he added.
“Look, the networks want them. I don’t think any of the candidates want them, at this point.”
Trump could lock up the Republican nomination next week with wins in Ohio and Florida.