Instagram is now servicing more than 500 million users, twice its count from two years ago. The company has added 100 million monthly users since September 2015.
80% of Instagram users come from outside the US, up from 75% in September. The company’s highest ad earning impressions are in the US where it still serves more than 100 million users.
The biggest metric may be the company’s 300 million daily active users.
Instagram is now as twice as big as Snapchat and Zuckerberg and company are making sure to highlight that fact.
Instagram’s count of images shared per day has slowed down. At 300 million monthlies it saw 70 million images per day. At 400 million monthlies it had 80 million per day. Now having reached 500 million monthlies it is receiving 95 million per day.
The slowdown in percentage of shared photos may be a direct result of more users sending their photos to Snapchat.
The company said in announcing the milestone, “Thank you for your creativity, your openness and your passion for sharing your worlds with one another. We can’t wait to see what you create next.”
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg took to his social network to celebrate the occassion.
Despite its continued growth, Facebook has not yet revealed Instagram’s earnings.
Here are Instagrams major milestones since launch.
- October 2010: Launch on iPhone
- December 2010: 1 million users
- June 2011: 5 million users
- September 2011: 10 million users
- April 3rd, 2012: 30 million registered accounts on iPhone, launches on Android
- April 4th, 2012: Instagram sees 1 million Android signups in the first 24 hours
- April 9th, 2012: Instagram hits 5 million monthly Android users, is acquired by Facebook
- April 30th, 2012: 50 million monthly users
- February 2013: 100 million monthly users
- September 2013: 150 million monthly users
- December 2013: 75 million daily users
- March 2014: 200 million monthly users
- December 2014: 300 million monthly users
- September 2015: 400 million monthly users
- June 2016: 500 million monthly users, 300 million daily users
Here’s the full blog posted Instagram released to celebrate the occasion:
Today, we’re excited to announce our community has grown to more than 500 million Instagrammers — more than 300 million of whom use Instagram every single day. Our community also continues to become even more global, with more than 80 percent living outside of the United States.
As you’ve captured and shared the moments happening around you, you’ve formed incredibly varied and diverse communities. Whether you’re an illustrator, a sneakerhead or an astronaut on the International Space Station, every photo and video you share helps bring people closer to friends and interests, broadens perspectives and inspires a sense of wonder. You’ve made Instagram a place where the everyday and the epic are always within reach.
Thank you for your creativity, your openness and your passion for sharing your worlds with one another. We can’t wait to see what you create next.