Sex and the City, the movie premiered Tuesday and hits US theaters today. Sarah Jessica Parker has described the premiere as moving, but what’s really moving is cash – lots of it. A decade after it’s HBO premiere, the franchise is stronger than ever. Sex and the City, the TV show, ran for six season.s Since 2004 it has been raking in the big dollars in syndication. And now all their loyal fans, and new ones, will shell out big money for tickets, concessions, and more to catch up with Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte.
All this frivolousness could not come at a better time, smack in the middle of our it’s-not-really-that-bad recession.
Just look at all the industries getting a Sex boost:
- Restaurants & Bars: Women from coast to coast are planning Girls’ Nights Out to celebrate the movie premiere.
- Clothing Stores & Salons: Millions of us will feel less than cute after watching these women in designer everything prance across the screen.
- Accessories: The shoes go without saying, and the ladies walked a carpet covered with some 10,000 Swarovski crystals, which are featured prominently in the film. And don’t forget the designer bag rentals ala Bag, Borrow or Steal.
- Beverages: These girls practically invented the Cosmopolitan. If they’ve got a new favorite cocktail, you can bet it’ll be in a box by the end of the summer.
- Cosmetics: I guarantee you the ‘Get This Look’ spreads have been planned for months. Check your June fashion magazines.
- Magazines: Pages and pages of stills, commentary, interviews, candid shots, and confessions soon to come about all the behind the scenes spats.
- DVDs: The movie is one long advertisement for the complete series on DVD.
Can you say recession proof? These are all low dollar items that entertain us and make us feel good. Add them all together and it’s an industry in itself. Be thankful for Sex!